Saturday, August 15, 2009

My Chance to Be the Biggest Loser!

**There are only two reality TV shows I like to watch: The Biggest Loser and So You Think You Can Dance. Last week's season finale of So You Think You Can Dance coincided with the first night of a local church's Biggest Loser competition. I went back and forth about whether I should participate. Then I found out you had to be in teams of at least 4 and I hesitated even more. But, things worked out, I found my team, and I started this journey last week on Thursday.

The first week they took all of our measurements. From weight and inches to fat percentage and blood pressure. We picked a team name (Dedicated DCOM Dieters-since we were all associated somehow with the medical school) and our shirt color (yellow to keep us cheery and motivated!)

I spent the week being more aware of my diet and cutting out bedtime treats and finding ways to include exercise in my day. I ran with Brent, walked/ran with teammates, and found Belly Dancing of FitTV. Overall, I felt pretty good about the seek. Then the night before the weigh in we ate at a pizza joint in town and I felt yucky all night. The food was good, but my body told me it was not healthy. I was so worried I'd killed my goal. I had spent all week chanting "3 pounds, 3 pounds" whenever I wanted to eat a cookie or a bowl of ice cream and I was afraid I'd blown it.

But as it turns out, I was okay! I was by no means the biggest loser of the week (that was 8.34% body weight lost) or the highest number (20 pounds!) but I beat my goal! I lost 4.5 pounds and it felt great! I'm so glad I've committed myself to this competition because I have accountability, teammates and a clear goal. Now I've shared it with you so I'm even more committed to stick with it until I reach my goal! I'll report again next Saturday.

**Brent has such a knack for making me look so short! This is a picture taken over the summer and best represents how I look on a daily basis. Anyone want to nominate me for TLC's What Not To Wear? I'd totally love it!

5 comments:

Rebecca is Thrilled by the Thought said...

Woo hoo! Good job! Very motivating to me! I need to shape up.

Melitsa of Play Activities said...

Belly dancing on FitTV. Now I need to go and have a look.
Congrats on meeting your goal. Never watched either show but I hear so many talk about how inspiring TBL is to them.
LOL about the picture- that's because he's a giant :)

JM - The Princess said...

Great job!!! Now that is two bloggers that I love to read that are on a health kick and slim down. I am thinking that I have to join the bandwagon. Good luck and keep up the good work.

Wendy said...

Keep up the great work!! You can do it.

Coopers said...

i like the idea of the team thing. seems motivating. and i loved the comment about the picture.

Google Analytics Alternative